These delicious bars are perfect for dessert, snacks or even as a mid-morning pick-me-up. These were such a big hit at home that I’ve had to make them for both sets of parents and for a teenager get-together.
- 2½ Cups brown sugar
- 1 Cup unsalted butter
- ½ Cup Apple sauce
- 6 Tablespoons instant coffee granules
- 3 Tablespoons hot water
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla
- 2 Cups flour
- 4 Eggs
- ½ Teaspoon salt
- 1 Teaspoon baking powder
- 1 Cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 Cup chopped nuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Heat brown sugar and butter, still continually until sugar melts and is well mixed.
- Dissolve coffee in hot water and add to butter mixture.
OPTIONAL Allow mixture to cool to room temperature before continuing. This option will keep the chocolate chips from melting into the mixture and you should be able to see individual chips when done baking. I normally do not wait. This causes chips to melt and sink to the bottom of pan creating a yummy chocolate layer.
- Grease two 9×13 pans
- Beat egg and vanilla into butter mixture.
- sift dry ingredients together and mix into butter mixture.
- If you chose to let butter cool above, stir in chocolate chips now.
- Stir in the optional nuts.
- Bake 25-30.
- Let cool completely before cutting.
- May be dusted with powdered sugar is desired.
These are great with a glass of cold milk or even with a cup of hot coffee – try them both.
I hope you enjoy!