I enjoyed this dish one night a local Italian place – they may be a franchise, I don’t know. It was quite tasty and I decided to try and come up with my own version. It’s not quite as good as theirs, but it was well received at the table, and not too hard to prepare. As usual, I cheated and bought pre-cut veggies when possible. Yes, I pay more for them – but my time is worth more to me than the extra I pay.
- 3 medium sized, boneless chicken breasts. Sliced into short, thin strips
- ½ Cup Pepperoni, chopped (I bought pizza slices and quartered them)
- ¼ Cup white onion, chopped
- 1 Cup bell pepper diced (I bought a container of pre-cut, mixed red, green and yellow)
- 2 Small cloves garlic, pressed or finely chopped
- 1 Small can of sliced mushrooms
- 1 Small can of sliced olives (I used black, but green might add a nice zing)
- 1½ Teaspoons Thyme
- 2 Teaspoons Basil
- Spaghetti noodles
- 1 Medium sized jar of your favorite spaghetti sauce (I prefer Prego)
- 3 Cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Parmesan cheese (as a topping at the table)
- Cook spaghetti noodles, drain and set aside. (Note: I left my noodles full length and had a hard time in steps 8 and 9. You may want to break them in half)
- In a large skillet, cook chicken slices in olive oil, or butter until slightly browned.
Remove from skillet and drain off excess fat.
- Sauté onion, peppers and garlic in same skillet until nearly cooked through.
- Add mushrooms, and pepperoni and heat through.
- Add chicken, Thyme and Basil. Mix in well.
- Add Olives.
- Add Spaghetti noodles to meat and veggie mixture.
- Add Spaghetti sauce (more or less depending on your taste) – thoroughly mix.
- Sprinkle small amount of mozzarella into the bottom of an oven safe baking dish.
Alternate layers of spaghetti mixture and a little mozzarella to get it good and cheesy throughout.
- Top off with more mozzarella.
- Bake for approx. 15 min. at 350 F. Cheese should be bubbly and just starting to golden.
When done sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and enjoy.
I served mine with nice fresh bread to wipe up the extra sauce – Mmmm!
I hope you enjoy this dish, please let me know how I might improve on it.